"This is my last day at OSchool."
This was what Daniel said during the start of the recital practice tonight (as in Wednesday). It was totally out of the blue. Everyone of us was either shocked or surprised at what he said. We just sat there and exchanged puzzled looks before Daniel explained that he received an urgent project offer to go to LA and NY, USA, and he will be staying in the US for a few years.
The thing is, he'll be leaving for the US at 7am, Thursday. By the time you're reading this, he would be a few thousand feet on the air, making his way on board a flight to Los Angeles.
His departure was totally sudden. I was quite taken aback when I realized my closest instructor is leaving and I'll never get to see him again for at least a few years. When Regina, my OG mate, took me to OSchool for the first time, guess which class was my first? It was Daniel's Hip Hop I open class. I was impressed by his choreo and his teaching style right from the start. In other words, I was hooked.
For the next few weeks, I religously attended his open class till I saved enough to signed up for his Hip Hop I course. Then it was Hip Hop II course. Hip Hop III course was next. By the time I knew it, it was time for recital already. I remembered asking Daniel to let me join the recital, which he said yes without even a blink of an eye. I remembered that time when Daniel took my dance clique to eat at the Taiwanese restaurant and tried to stuff us to death.
Then I remembered that this will be all I have.
After he made that announcement, we took some time to take some pictures and joke around before we practice for a while. We ended earlier than expected. We decided to ask Daniel along for one last supper with us before he'll fly off.
We head over to Victoria Food Court around the area. While we were having supper, Daniel was telling anecdotes about his journey of becoming a choreographer. He told us how he learned diiferent genres, how OSchool came to be etc.
I wished time would just freeze at that moment. I am content with that moment where we, a group consisting of close to 20 ppl, huddled around a table meant for half that size, and listening to Daniel sharing his interesting life stories. But I have learnt over and over again that time waits for no one.
Before we left, we made a woosh. Everyone was turning their heads when we cheered loudly. We also took one last photo before going off. At this point in time, I just felt a little sad, but not to the extent of grief. I guess the shock had numbed my feelings, and I didn't really feel anything at all.
It's like being shot by a gun. First, there is the hit and recoil. After the moment of recoil and shock pass off, then the pain will come. I only really feel the grief when I reached my room. I did what most humans would do in this situation--
I cried.
Ie-Ching called me after I told her about Daniel's sudden departure. I realized that there'll be no more open classes, no more courses, and no more of his jokes. That was when tears started flowing down. You may wonder why would a 17 year-old guy would cry, but remember that I am just human. I cry when I am (extremely) sad. In fact, I usually don't cry even when I'm sad.
The worst part is, we have to move on to the recital without Daniel. He won't be there when the curtain calls. It's all the more the reason why we must do our best.
Though rightfully speaking, we shouldn't feel bad that Daniel is leaving, because Daniel is taking a big leap for his career. It's kinda selfish to wish Daniel would stay, some ppl say. Instead, we should be happy. But looking at the reality, we are losing our closest instructor and Daniel is leaving his friends and family behind. Where's the joy in that? I think it's only fair we let a moment of grief to ourselves, before wishing Daniel good luck.
Daniel did mention he'll be back on the 16th December for Christmas before leaving again on the 26th December. This time, he won't be back for years. He said that he'll contact us to meet up with us if he has the time. Unfortunately, I would be back in Malaysia by then. I don't feel like going back to Malaysia, then I remembered that my family is eagerly waiting for my return and how much I missed them. Daniel's departure couldn't have come at a worse time.
I really, really, really will miss Daniel. Maybe I could meet him if I eventually made it to the US to study. I hope we'll meet again soon.
Farewell, Daniel.
-