Tuesday, December 2, 2008

New York Hip Hop

I want to start off by saying this--

I love my recital group!

Full-dress rehearsal on Sunday was quite well done, in my opinion, though technically we didn't wear our costumes because we didn't have any yet. Ryan told us that our item was "much neater and tighter from before", but he told us to improve more because our item "is probably the most challenging item out of all -- the one with storyline".

Since our story involves prisoners (don't ask me why, you guys will see it on the actual day), we need to ask "like we are rowdy prisoners". He told us that we need to be in character. I'll keep that in mind. After that, we had extra practice, not that I mind. In fact, I like it. Haha. Anyway, Daniel told us to think of prisoners we are, just to get us into character.

At first, I thought that if I am ever going to be imprisoned, then it must be I am a murderer or something. Then I realized that if I am ever going to commit any crime, it's going to be so well-planned that I could never ever be caught. So it's kinda hard for me to think of a character. In the end, I've decided that I would just be some normal gangster and get on with it.

Oh, oh, oh! Daniel added this damn cool gangfight scene! We had quite alot of fun rehearsing it. You guys have to stay tuned to find out. =)

After the practice, we went to have dinner together. What was supposed to be a dinner soon became a bitching session about our ex-recital mate, which quitted recently. But we also talked about other stuff like last year's recital. It was fun hanging out with them.

Extra practice on the coming Wednesday night. Daniel said he's going to take us to the new studio to practice! Yay! I think we are probably the first few which gets to use the new venue! Cool, right! Can't wait for it!

---------------------------------------------------------------

I attended Sheila's New York Hip Hop Open Class at Studio Wu today (as in Monday). It's been a long since the Street Jazz sabbatical, and I was eager to learn something new from her. I had the one day free pass thing that I got from the sabbatical.

Her choreo was quite fast and it was actually quite lyrical too. She used the song "Moving Mountains" by Usher for today's class. I can catch most of the steps, but the execution of some moves were a problem because the music was fast. There are times when I just stoned there because I momentarily forgotten the steps, but most of the time, I can manage to recover.

One thing about her class that's special is that she actually bring forward her choreos from week to week, almost as though it was a course, though it's actually an open class. I really want to attend the next one, but then I remembered that I'll be back in Malaysia. I don't have the cash anyway.

I think I'll attend her open class again someday. This is definitely just the start.

-------------------------------------------------------

Oh yeah, I met up with Nic. Tay and Sali today too at Studio Wu. It's great meeting the seniors again. Nic. Tay had to leave after she signed up for classes.

Went to eat dinner with Sali after the open class. We had a very good conversation going. Talking about how she met the dancing clique, JC life and everything else. I think I am really going to miss conversations like these when the seniors leave man.

Anyway, gotta go!