I apologize for taking such a long time to come up with this post. I was waiting for all the pictures and videos to be uploaded so I could give a blow-by-blow account of this amazing experience. Furthermore, I didn't have the time and access to blog for the past few days anyway.
Without further ado, let's get it started!
Before the show
We had a technical run and full-dress run as a kind of rehearsal for throughout the whole Monday afternoon. We got to watch each other's completed items. We also got to watch the instructor's item for the first time! We were blown away by it! I knew the instructor's item will be THE dopest item of them all.
After the runs, it was time for make up and dinner! Of course, there was alot of cam whoring going on--
















Around 5.30 pm, there was already a queue of ppl waiting outside the convention hall. And the show doesn't even starts till 7.30 pm! These ppl totally hardcore!
At 6.45pm, everyone was to meet on stage for one last photo shoot. The OSchool still haven't upload it on their webpage yet, so I guess we all have to wait for the pics. After the photo shoot, then everyone is supposed to take their places backstage.
The door opened at 7pm sharp, and the ppl started flowing in to take their places. When I peeped and saw such a large audience, I was starting to feel very nervous. I was damn afraid that I would screw up and embarrassed myself on stage! It was my first dance performance (no, that stupid Change concert doesn't count!). Ryan said all 1000 tickets were sold out, so I was getting very stressed at the time.
While the audience was eagerly anticipating the performance, everyone backstage was giving each other encouragement and hugs, even though not everyone knows each other. I guess it was moments like these that shows how friendly most dancers are, and perhaps that's why dancers formed a close-knit community in Singapore.
Thanks Diana and Ie-Ching for the hugs because I really needed them badly!
Just when the show was about to start, all the dancers at my wing made a woosh before we all took our places. Before we know it, the show has already started.
Show time!
First up was Ann Tan's Hip Hop item. I really liked her item alot because I think she put alot of effort in choreography as well as training her dancers. Her dedication to her group of dancers was so strong that she didn't eat for the previous day, so she ended up being hospitalized for gastric attack on the recital day. But still, her item was dope!
She called Ryan in the middle of a briefing and Ryan was scolding her through the phone:"Eh, you stay at home and don't come! Your dancers are all very good already, what more do you want?" But she still came to watch her item then she left shortly afterwards. That's what I call a truely caring instructor.
An An's Hip Hop item was next!
Then comes another one of my favourite items -- Fredy's Street Jazz! I really liked the choreo and the feel of the item. Very sexy! If you watch closely, you can see Razmi, which is the big-sized guy who danced even sexier than a girl! Not surprisingly, he won't the Best Dancer Award later on that night.
Around this time, my heart was beating so fast that it almost bursts! We were at the side curtains preparing to chiong right in, because our item was next!
Presenting to you Daniel's Hip Hop item!
As I mentioned before, I was the one being lifted. Nik and the two Julians was lifting me. If you look closely, you can a guy wearing a glove and has a spiky hair. Well, that's me alright! I was so nervous during the show that I screwed up a few steps but I managed to recover quickly. At least I didn't just die there and screw up our months of hard work. Phew.
When the emcee announced it was our item, I was pretty scared. But by the time I know it, our item was over! Our months of hardwork is just for that few minutes on stage. I felt quite glad when I heard the applause from the audience.
After our item, it was Ryan and Gin's LA/Lyrical Hip Hop item! It was quite dope (which is what you would expect from the 2 dopest instructors in O School)!
Around this time, my recital group was cam-whoring in the rehearsal studio downstairs before we went inside the convention hall to watch the rest of the performance (Though we weren't supposed to. Heh.).





In the meantime, there was a special item performed by Ryan and this another dope girl (I dunno what's her name, lol). But unfortunately, the video wasn't uploaded to Youtube yet, so you guys just got to wait.
Note: After this point in time, I wasn't really sure of the arrangement of the items, so I'll try my best to recall the correct order.
If I wasn't wrong, Ryan's Lyrical Jazz item was up next. But the video also cannot be found on Youtube, which is a pity because this item was damn touching to watch. The dancers were all very professional and I salute them for that.
Popping was next (I think), which is probably the most entertaining item of the recital (other than the instrucotr's item, of course). Feast your eyes!
Nice right? Ben's choreographies always captivates me.
There was an interval after this, which is when I went to look for my friends that came to support me.
After the interval, there was a battle segment, which was carried forward as a tradition from last year's recital. Meredith Kerr went on stage to battle! Yes, THAT Meredith! The dope Hip Hop dancer from the US! The battle was K.O Night style! Check out her battle video--
Not surprisingly, she won the battle. She got a cap which she threw towards the audience. I want it too!!!
Daniel's House item was afterwards--
Followed by KH's Bboy item!
Then followed by another one of my favourite items -- An An, Gin, and Xue Hui's Reggae item!
But the highlight of the whole recital must be the instructor's item -- "One week in O School"! The whole item had a storyline about the instructor's lives in OSchool, which is obvious from the title! I really, really loved this item! Totally dope! The crowd was going crazy throughout the whole item!
This item was so long that it was split into 6 parts.
Part 1 -- Monday: Daniel' Hip Hop and Ryan's Lyrical Jazz
The first "class" was meant to signify Daniel's Hip Hop II Open Class.The next one was Ryan's Lyrical Jazz Open Class. I liked how the instructor imitate the open class thing. But when I watched the item, I was suddenly reminded of Daniel becuase I'm very sure that the first choreo was choreographed by Daniel.
Part 2 -- Tuesday: Trianing Day
Now we know why OSchol closes on Tuesdays. LOL.
Part 3 & 4 -- Wednesday: Fredy's Street Jazz and An An's Hip Hop
Part 5 -- Thursday & Friday: Flying off to LA
For me, this part is the dopest part of all! They "flew" to LA to meet Carol! Carol mae a surprise appearance after going to the US for a long time. And everyone was laughing at the "Classes cancelled" part because it was part of an inside joke -- Ryan's and Gin's Open Classes on Thursday always tend to be cancelled because they always have something on.
When I was watching this part, I could not help but wish maybe Daniel will somehow pop out of nowhere and perform with them. Sigh, going through the recital without him feels kinda weird sometimes.
Anyway, I like the KH and Gin's duet. Very lovely! And I like her song and choreo to "Spotlight" by Jennifer Hudson. And I can't believe she taught the choreo for LA Open Class last night! Argh! I wanna learn!!! Nik, you must teach me when I come back or I'll kill you. Haha.
Part 6 -- Saturday: KH's Bboy, Ben's Popping, Fong's Locking, and Daniel's House
Sadly, the video taht was uploaded didn't have Daniel's House choreo.
Overall, the instructor's item was obviously the dopest of them all! I really like it alot.
After their item was done, it was the finale curtain call. There was no ideo of it on Youtube, but it was kinda messy. There were too many ppl on stage. But the sight of a few hundred dancers swarming from the audience to the stage must be spectacular. Heh.
After the show
When the curtain call was over, I went to meet my friends and took photos with them.
To Wilson, Tack Kian, Nic. Tay, Terrance, Andrew, Su Hui, Jia Wei, Chris, Joleen, Hui Xian, Brian, Sean, Ester, Shino and those who I can't remember now, thank you guys for coming and watch! I also met some of my dancemates that I haven't seen in a long time, like Sean, Ester and Shino.
My recital group mentioned there might be a supper, but in the end, there wasn't one because everyone went off with their friends. I guess we can meet again next time.
Final thoughts
Wow, this is probably the longest post I have ever typed. Took me 3 freaking hours.
To my recital mates, I am going to miss hanging out with you guys because you guys are a very fun bunch to dance with. I feel really proud to be in this recital, and even lucky to be in Daniel's item. I hope we did Daniel proud!
I had lots of fun during this period when I was involved in the recital. I will definitely look forward to joining next year's one, even though I will have A-levels. I danced through my Promos this year, so I definitely can dance through A-Levels.
O School Recital 2009, watch out! We're coming!