Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Heroes

It is kind of comforting that even in dark times, humanity shines through like an angel. Our world is not perfect, with copious amount of ppl commiting evil deeds at any given moment, be it stealing, robbing, murder, or corruption. Amazingly, even in our modern world where crime rates are ever-increasing, the simple notion of humanity is still present. Call me a pessimist, but I always believed that our world is getting "colder". But that changed after Geog Lecture today.

During the Physical geog lecture, Mr White showed us a tv show that he recorded about the San Francisco earthquake that took place a few years back. An earthquake took place that left neighbourhoods in rubble. The top layer of a double-decker bridge (yes, there is such a bridge in USA) collasped, crushing cars on the layer below. The whole city was literally in chaos. Yet, in these times, there are civilians risked their lives going through the rubbles to rescue survivors.

Ordinary ppl doing extraodinary things, that's what I call heroes. Heroes need not be ppl with superpowers; neither do they need to wear underwears on the outside and fly. Heroes are ppl who display acts of humanity, regardless of whether the time calls for it.




I think many ppl are fascinated by the idea of ordinary ppl doing extraordinary stuff, and that's the reason why many ppl are interested in the tv show, conveniently titled "Heroes". (Personally, I like to watch the show because of the plot) But many ppl are fascinated by the idea of the TV show -- ordinary ppl discovering they possess unnatural powers. In the show, it was explained that the powers are a result of evolution, and I think that the theory is quite plausible. But I digress.

The reason I like the show is because it shows some sense of humanity in it, with all the "save the world" stuff. I know it's cliched at times, but that doesn't stop me from watching it.

"Each to his own battle", I once mentioned. The winner of the battle is usually crowned as the "hero". Similarly, when we have overcomed the obstacle, and "won the battle", then we are can consider ouselves "heroes".

Promos is looming ahead, and every JC student is probably struggling to get their revision done, me included. Last week, I said I didn't really feel any stress. But now, it seems that the stress is building up in me. In 7 more days, Promos will officially start, and it will determine whether I get to keep my scholarship. But I know I'm not the only one that view Promos as super-important. Everyone is. So I'm not alone. And so are you.

Let us go. Together.

And be our own "heroes".