Sunday, September 7, 2008

No Air

I'm typing this from my cousin's house now. The past 2 days is totally hectic. As I said my last post, I wanted to study alot within the remainder of the week. But I ended up not studying much. When I was looking through my pile of tutorials, I realized that I had an Econs Essay and another Econs Data Response Questio, and also a Chem worksheet to submit within the coming week. So I spent my time finishing them instead of mugging. :/

Daniel's Open Class
Well anyway, yesterday was totally crazy IMO. Went for Daniel's Open Class, and he used the chorus of "Little Weapon" again. This time, he did it lyrical. Which = :-). The choreo was quite hard because he spammed so many techniques in one choreo, but somehow the techniques blended together beautifully. Usually, he only gives 1 or 2 techniques, but yesterday, he gave 4 (if I didn't count wrongly). And he likes to use the song "Little Weapon" nowadays. he gaev hints that he will be using it for OSchool Recital. Anyway, the Open Class choreo was enjoyable and very tiring.

After that, it was lunch as usual with the usual gang. Me, Nik, Diana, Brian and Freddid went to Subway for lunch. Somehow, Subway always become our hang-out spot. Hmm.... but I'm not complaining because Subway is much more healthier than fast food restaurants.

Hip hop 3 Course
We attended the 4pm Hip Hop 3 class. At that point in time, I was still deciding whether to go for MAF or go for Suntec Dance Finals. But both of them start early, so I need to go for the 4pm class anyway. Daniel walked into the studio and saw the 8 of us hogging the middle of the studio and he gave us all the wide-eye stare. His expression was quite funny.

Anyway, he continued where we left of last week, which is the verse of the song "Little Weapon" (yeah, I know. "It's that song again"). Two weeks ago, remember that I've said he used the chorus of "Little Weapon" for the Open Class choreo. And -- Surprise, Surprise! -- he used the same choreo for the verse, but not with a little changes here and there. So that means some of us already more or less know the choreo for the verse already. And it also means more footwork, which makes the choreo somewhat painful. Imagine drilling yourself going down to your knees nth times.

Suntec Dance Grand Finals!
After the lesson, I decided to go watch Suntec Dance Finals in the end. Sorry to my classmates! Earlier on, I saw the performance schedule for MAf and I was feeling kinda sian after looking at it. So I decided not to go. So me, Diana, Nik, Freddie and Brian made our way to Suntec City as fast as possible to secure seats. It was held at the Suntec City Foutnain of Wealthe actually. I've never been to the Fountain of Wealth when it's not on. Anyway, we sat there and stoned for an hour before the Finals finally started.

While we were waiting, the organizers were giving out "pat pat" (gosh, that sounds wrong doesn't it?). What is that obscene sounding thing, you ask? Well, it's those stick that you blow to inflate them so that you can whack them together during a performance. And I suspect the orgainzers bought some China imported "pat pat"s. Just take a look at the pics and you'll see why:
A few seats away from where we were seating, I overhead two girls making dirty jokes with each other. One of them said: "Hey, you wanna blow my pat pat?" and the other said:"Your pat pat is big". That was when I started laughing like crazy. I can't believe there are girls making such dirty jokes in public. It's something even most guys, like me, wouldn't say la.

Anyway, the dancers were all damn DOPE! The soloist are like damn freaking zai lah! I was totally blown away by the dancers. When I watched them, I knew I won't regret missing MAF for that! But halfway througout the Finals, it started to rain heavily. The emcees were like: "Wow, I think somebody forgot to turn off the Fountain of Wealth". I swear to you, the emcees were totally lame and if not for my rational and logical thinking, I think somebody would have been eating my shoe.

Though it rained so heavily, the four of us (Nik, Diana, Brian and me) still stood in the rain, under umbrellas, to watch the performances up close while most ppl ran for shelter. The heavy rain did nothing to dampen the performances. The groups still performed damn well.

The "Fantastic Kidz", and no joke, they're seriously only a bunch of primary school kids. But they can own alot of dancers, I tell ya.

Strictly Dance Zone. A CCA club from Singapore Polytechnic, and also under Daniel's care.


Revouge. TPDE gals. And also Joeys, Diana's friend, dance crew.

After the performance, there was a cypher between all of the performers and some of the judges. That was THE HIGHLIGHT of the whole night. Leona Diaz, World All-star Hip-Hop 2007 Champion, also one of the judges, cyphered with them. It was damn entertaining. Part of the reason was because everyone was so zai, and the other reason being it's so rare to watch a hip-hop cypher. In Singapore, you'll only get Bboy cyphers most of the time. So a Hip-Hop cypher is totally fresh, and Leona Diaz was like icing of a cake.

While we were waiting for results, we cam-whored around and did stupid stuff.
Me, Brian and Nik

The results were finally out like after god-damn-dunno-how-freaking-long. After that we left the place. The whole thing started around 7pm and ended around 11pm. Damn long, but I think it's still damn worth it to watch.

Diana and Joey

So that's all for yesterday. Today I continue doing Econs essay and rested. Went to my cousin's home to have dinner. My aunt cooks the best laksa in Singapore man! Not too sour, not too spicy. but I would have preferred it to be a a little more spicy. Hmm.... Anyway, my cousin, Connie, bought me a set of mooncakes, which was sweet of her. And my other cousin, Lynette, is leaving for UK this coming Tuesday. So good luck to Lynette for a safe trip! And thanks Connie for the ride back to boarding school!

Before I go, I want to recommend a video to you readers. Nik let me watched it yesteday at OSchool. It's from Season 4 of So You Think You Can Dance (America). Joshua and Katee danced Lyrical Hip Hop to the song "No Air" by Jordin Sparks and Chris Brown. The choreography is so beautiful, and the emotions are so raw and powerful. You guys must really watch it:



See, I told you it's good right? It was their first performance and they were already so good. They won Season 4 in the end, together. Totally a couple made in heaven, man. I love the choreography. And it's totally what lyrical hip-hop is supposed to be. The performance inspired me to dance to the song, though I know I am not at that standard yet.

I think that's all for tonight. Tomorrow, it's back to school and mugging. Sian. JC life can be so suffocating at times. Till then--

"Tell me how I’m supposed to breathe with no air?"