Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Capricon

I was in a happy mood today, largely because my group has finally finished the whole Written Report! =) We spend countless hours fine-tuning our WR, from standardizing the format, to grammar checks, to adding in pictures, to reorganizing the appendices. Everytime we seemed to be done with the WR, there's bound to be something that was overlooked. Not this time (I hope). This would be the last time we'll be editing our WR, since we have perfected it as much as we could. I'm quite happy with the end result. Once again, I'm thankful for having great groupmates.Oh yeah, I finally gotten my hands on Jay Chou's new album "Capricon" (魔杰座). Borrowed it from a senior. I really enjoyed this album. Frankly speaking, this album is way better than "On The Run" (我很忙). When I listened the new album for the first time, I already fell in love with about 6 songs (給我一首歌的時間;花海;魔術先生;說好的幸福呢;蘭亭序; 稻香) out of the total 11. It's totally dope! I am glad that Jay Chou is finally reverting back to his usual style. Quite impressed by his new songs.

Since the album "七里香", I have been a fan of Jay Chou. His music is always fresh and experimental, but I like his emo songs the most. He was the first Chinese musician that I started listening too, and since then, I started listening to Chinese songs. Some ppl might find it surprising that I actually listen to Chinese songs, especially my parents when they first found out too.

I admire Jay Chou for his outstanding musicality. He can proficiently play many musical instruments, for which the piano is the one that Jay Chou is most famous for; he composes the melody and rhythm for his songs, except for the occasional outsourcing; he can fuse different genres of music into a style that is unique to him. For those reasons, I hold a great respect for him.

For my whole childhood, up till Primary 6, I would prefer to listen to English songs only. Occasionally some Malay (more surprising eh?) and Chinese songs, but these are not that often. Then when I came to Singapore, my roommates exposed me to Jay Chou's music, and I was instantly hooked. Slowly, I shifted my music preferrence to Chinese music. When I as in Sec 3 and 4, I would only listen to Chinese music. Once I started to learn hip-hop dance, I started listening to English music again. I realized that I missed out on alot of dope English songs when I was exploring Chinese music. As for now, my music preferrence is balanced between English and Chinese songs.

The future of both the Chinese and English music industry seems promising. Lin Jun Jie (affectionately known as JJ Lin) just released his album, Sixology. I heard from Tack Kian that it might be even better than Jay Chou's album. Can't wait to get my hands on JJ Lin's new songs too.

Anyway, Friday is the big day for all scholars. MOE is meeting us in school to brief us on our scholarship status. I heard from my friends that Jia Jun is put on probation by the MOE, and his results are almost like mine. So I guess that it's quite likely that I will get to keep my scholarship, but I might be put on probation too. Fuck MOE, man. This will be damn stressful, and I have the feeling that I will be under alot of stress from the MOE next year.

Unfortunately, I know that some of my friends will lose their scholarships as of this coming Friday. One of them have already found a place to rent in anticipation of the bad news. The other one is not doing anything much and I think he deserved it anyway, since he didn't put in much effort for Promos. As for some of the scholars who got quite a few As, they are feeling very relaxed now.

Actually, I do feel sorry for my friend whose scholarship will be revoked. He has put in a lot of effort as compared to his classmate, who goes on a "one-day-work-week" and is a member of the "famous" Wu Ge Ren band (I'm not saying who, because you know who you are), but his scholarship will still be withdrawn. My friend totally doesn't deserve this fate.

I am quite anxious myself. What if MOE went even more nuts and decided to not give any probation at all? What if they are fucked up and want to make this world a fucked up place? Then my scholarship will be gone. And I really, really, really hope it wouldn't come to that.

May the stars be our guide.