Open House 2008
I really had lots of fun during the Open House today. Frankly speaking, the open house is more like a CCA exhibition. But I had lots of fun today nevertheless.
I woke up late again today, and I reached school just a few mintues too late to make it for flag raising. Since I do not have a CCA, that means I'm not involved in the Open House whatsoever. Was laming around with Wang Yi before we decided to head to Serene Centre to have breakfast. It was great able to speak to him like last time.
Went back to school around 10am plus, which was just in time to watch the Malay Dance performance. Then it was Chinese Dance, followed by MAD's performance. Their performance was entertaining, as usual.
But I find the Fac Dance item (s) even more entertaining, actually. Watching some of the ppl forgetting steps in the middle of the performance can be quite a funny experience. I saw Ningxin dancing with Jia Yun too. Frankly speaking, I think my beloved class CT Rep can dance the fac dance well, if he didn't keep forgetting. And I swear I saw his partner, Ningxin, laughing at him during the performance. Haha. =)
Anyway, after watching the Mass Dance, I head to the PE Studio. Tack Kian was there, as per normal (as weird as it may sound, most dancers consider the PE studio a second home, me included). Aileen and Ningxin were there too. Finally got to understand why Aileen is the head of Modern Dance. Heh. Danced till 3pm, then went back to Central Plaza to watch the performances again. Then went back to the PE studio about 4.30 pm again.
Oh yeah, and the "How to be a BBoy" video shown at the MAD booth was totally imba. I respect Shen Hong and Si Quan for acting in such a spastic way in the video. Totally funny and dope.
The Cypher
Alot ppl came and went, and by the time it's nightfall, there were only a few ppl left. Me, Anzai, Tse Young, Vern Zhiang, Andre, and Anthony. Someone suggested a 6 person cypher, which got me really nervous actually. Before this, I have never ever cyphered in my whole life. And I was nervous because I think my footwork cannot make it. Turns out, the anxiety only worsened my already pathetic footwork. Though my toprock was better than my footwork, but I felt that I wasn't expressing my full potential.
Funnily, though I didn't do well for the cypher, I felt as though I finally got a taste of what bboying is like. The adrendalin rush, the attention and everything else. And I finally undertood how important footwork is in a set. I think I shall focus on footwork too from now on.
The cypher made me want to put more effort into bboying. Seriously. Most of the time, if I were in the PE Studio, I would be practising Hip Hop stuff and freestyle. I don't really give bboy my best effort. That will change after today. It's all about foundation and style.
Speaking about style, some of the seniors (especially Tack Kian and Nic. Tay) told me that when I dance Hip Hop, there's this certain unique style that I exude. But strangely, whenever I look into the mirror and do Hip Hop, I don't really feel as though I have a certain style. Totally weird. Hmm.... One thing's for sure though, I can feel my Hip Hop vocabulary of moves expanding rapidly. The problem lies in connecting the moves and freestyle when necessary. Bleh.
Anyway, tomorrow's my big day. Turning 17. It sounds old, really. And I'm spending my birthday dancing, and hanging out with my dancemates tomorrow. Whoo. Can't wait. And Shen Hong's birthday right after mine. Then it will be Tse Young's on 15th. Wonder what I should get him. And I think I shouldn't be bad and ask Shen Hong to call me "Ko Ko" (Big brother in chinese). Haha. xP
Anyway, that's all for today. Till then, when I will be blogging about how I spend my birthday.
-