Thursday, November 20, 2008

Just Gettin' Started

Sec 4 Malaysian Scholars Pic during 2007 Grad Night @ Ritz Calrton

Why is it that by the time we get to know our friends the best and just started having fun, then it would be time to leave? I bet countless ppl have thought of that before. Only till the end of something, be it school, performance, or a journey, then we look back at the times fondly, remembering the highlights and forgetting the bad moments. Perhaps we look back with a tinge of regret, wondering what we could have done differently, before we shelve the memories away.

Memories.

One of my classmates, Yew Wei, is leaving for Australia next Monday, because he seems to like the Australian life better. Actually, I kind of regretted that I didn't get to know him better, though I know he's somewhat an introvert.

My class had a farewell dinner for Yew Wei at Junction 8's Cafe Cartel on Tuesday night. The food was wonderful (well, so is the price tag, btw) but I think that our class sort of broke into our usual cliques and just ignored the fact that it was supposed to be Yew Wei's farewell dinner. After dinner, we went to the open area on the rooftop and sat down in a circle. and we played games and chit-chatted till like there's no tomorrow. Yeah right. If only that's true. Again, we had our own conversations before taking a few pics and leave.

I was feeling kinda bad for Yew Wei because it seems like the farewell is not sincere enough. Where's the sincerity, guys? Seriously. Actually, I was hoping that our class could do something special before Yew Wei leaves. If not special, then at least something fun that can bond the class, like going cycling at East Coast Park or smth.

What happened to our class? I wonder. At the start of the year, we were so bonded. But now, it seems that our class has a serious gender segregation and numerous cliques. What happened to the time we celebrated Valerie's birthday? I remember standing in the Central Plaza, flipping the card, and feeling proud of my class for pulling something so special for our fellow classmate. I also remember at the start of the year, when my whole class would just put our difference aside, and just sit down in a circle and chat.

My class is not totally dessimated. In fact, my class is probably of the better classes out of the J1 cohort. Other classes doesn't have a Christmas BBQ party (which I will be missing, unfortunately, because I'll be back in Malaysia), neither do they have their own "haunted trail"s, or Sentosa outings. My class also had the most attendance for our fac event!

First class outing/BBQ @ Yew Wei's house
Ice Skating @ Fuji Ice Palace
Class Outing @ Sentosa with Mr ShyamAthena Faculty Event: Envy of the 7 Seas

08S6E is good, but it can be great.
I'll say it plainly. I think we can be MUCH MORE better than we are now if ppl in my class actually care about each other. I hate it when one calls the other "Jock-head" behind the back, then another one says "bimbo" discreetly. Everyone have their own weakness, so I hope we just tolerate it and get along with each other better. Is that too much to ask?

I have all these thoughts in my head for quite some time, and I think it's about time I voice them. I don't wanna look back after I've graduated and say "Oh, my class? It's ok. ". I want to be able to say "My class? They are FABULOUS! I really miss my classmates!". So that's why I've decided that maybe I should lend a hand in organizing stuff (be it outings or birthday celebrations) if the person-in-charge is unable, or incapable.
Let's make a difference, 08S6E!

-------------------------------------------------------

As for Yew Wei, I hope you'll enjoy yourself over at Australia. (Though I know you probably won't be reading this). Remember to come back and visit us next year when you have the chance!

"See you later" doesn't mean goodbye.

-------------------------------------------------------

On the other hand, the A-Levels are over for most of the seniors. They are probably hanging out and drinking boozehaving fun. I'm looking forward to hanging out with some of my favourite seniors (you know who you are =) ) sometime soon, hopefully before I am going back to Malaysia. I really am going to miss them.

Oh yeah, I'm also looking forward to spend quality time with my dancemates this Saturday. It's been a long time since we last hanged out together! Everybody is busy with his/her own life, what's with college, exams, and recital practices. Too bad Diana will be missing it though.

Believe it or not, my OG is having an OG BBQ next Wednesday!
I'm really excited about it! Imagine thinking ur OG (orientation group, for the non-HC readers) is dead and dispersed, then suddenly there's going to be an OG BBQ! It'll be at Pei Wen's (my OG leader) new home! Yay! My OG has been very bonded from the start, so I guess it's not much surprise that my OG is not dead like most OGs are. If only my class have the same spirit as my OG....

Which these activities to look forward to, it seems that the party has just gettin' started!