Friday, August 8, 2008

Back

I am back!!!!! I didn't have the chance to blog for the past few days, and I have lots of things to update on, so this will probably be a long post. Besides, my hands are itching to blog. Since there's so much to post about the past few days, I decided not to blog about them anyway.


After reading Yew Wei's blog, I felt like a freaking retard because I've never thought of using sub-headings. Instead of splitting my posts into a few posts, I decided to use sub-headings instead. So you guys can just scroll down to the specific sub-headings that concerns/interests you. Now that's settled, let's move on...


National Day Concert
Today was quite an enjoyable day. Since tomorrow is Singapore's National Day, our school held a concert in the hall, which is the tradition adhered to every year. The four facs (Ares, Artemis, Athena, and Apollo. To my non-HCI readers) are supposed to put up a cheerleading-cum-performance. I enjoyed the Ares performance because I think their choreography was quite fresh. And I also got to congratulate the Athenian BBoys (Si Quan, Jon Neo, Tse Young, and Chuan Khim) for coming up with a very excellent idea for the performance. Chuan Khim held onto Si Quan while Jon Neo held him in mid-air, then Tse Young went to strip Chuan Khim's shirt -- to reveal a shirt resembling the Singapore's flag. I went 'WOW!' when I saw that.


Another part I find interesting is that the choir ensemble went up on stage to sing the propaganda nursery rhymesNational Day songs. I seriously think this year's National Day song sucks compared to the older ones. But I still enjoyed the old National Day songs, such as "Home" and "We Will Get There", because of their nice lyrics and no mention of the word 'Singapore'. Some ppl from our class actually stood up to form a circle and sang along, me included. The ironic part is that more than half of the ppl in the circle are foreigners. Talk about national loyalty.


Throughout the concert, I found myself wondering whether I am actually turning into a Singaporean or something. I wonder why I've bothered to sing along the National Day songs. Is it because of the Singaporean propaganda that was rubbing off on me? Or is it the nice melody/lyrics of the songs that made me wanna sing along? Actually, I am quite uncertain of the answer myself. But if it's the former, I'd better start washing the propaganda off me before I actually sign up for Singapore citizenship.


True, Singapore have its good side. Low crime rates, safe environment, fledging economy, better employment opportunities, good education system. But it also has its bad side. A too-authoritarian government, "edible" food, shy-high inflation, 7% GST, propagandas, expensive housing, NS, etc... I'm not saying Malaysia is better here (trust me, in some cases, Malaysia is worse off), I just wanna make clear the pros and cons of Singapore to myself.


GEMs: Ice Skating
After the National Day concert, my class went for GEMs. We chose ice skating as our GEMs. During some parts of the activity, I think that our class is bonding. Mr Shyam, our GP teacher, and Mrs Koh, our form teacher, also came along. Of course, ice skating is a perfect opportunity for some ppl to get their chance at "chasing" girls. Heck, even TEH got himself a mate. I feel like jumping off the building in self-pity when I saw him holding a girl's hand, because I can't believe a girl would be so blind as to be his girlfriend. Heck, I wouldn't even go near him because of the copious amount of dandruff on his hair. He reminds me of an out-of-place Christmas tree, because if he shakes his head, the whole world will be in a blizzard. That's how bad his hair is.

Anyway, another entertainment hightlight is of course Mr Shyam himself. He may be a national world record holder when it comes to hurdles, but he had never skate before -- until today. When I asked him whether he ice-skated before and he replied 'no', I couldn't help but grin. He saw the grin and jokingly reminded me that he was the one marking my GP paper, but I still think continued grinning in anticipation of watching him skate. He stepped onto the ring and he have trouble even going one round around the ring. He fell down a few times and OH, THE JOY! Haha. Joking joking. Anyway, I helped him to reach the safety of concrete ground after openly laughing at him watching him fall.

All that I typed above are meant for entertainment. I'm sure Mr Shyam wouldn't mind. Anyway, Mr Shyam, if you're reading this, pls take note that I'm NOT Wilfred. Heh.

And I realized that Bing Yeow is quite good at ice-skating and Yu Wei is a fast learner. And throughout the whole 4-hours, I am reminded of how I used to skate with my ex-girlfriend. Not that I still miss her, but good times are meant to be remembered.

I will post the pictures of the ice skating soon when I get hold of them.

Next.....

Dancing and The Felix Session
C'mon, you'd really expect me ending my post without talking about dance at all?

I got the opportunity to join the MAD BBoys in their weekly lessons with their instructor, Felix, from Radikal Forze, arguably the best BBoy crew in Singapore. It was my first time crashing in on their lesson, since some of the bboys asked me along. Felix is easily a charismatic and formidable figure. He is friendly and down-to-earth, but yet he is so good at bboying that I have no words to decribe my respect for him. It was my first time seeing a legendary bboy figure up close.

He taught us swipes and swipes-related moves. I couldn't bloody get the freaking swipes and my leg was freaking sore. But then again, only some of the bboys knew how to do swipes. Also, Wilson and Teck Kian helped me to get headstands. I also asked Felix for advice, and he emphasizes that I should have a strong foundation before going on to powers.

Anyway, I didn't dance at all for the like 5/6 days already, because I don't have the opportunity to. And OSchool is closed tomorrow, so that means no lessons. Urgh. Sian. I guess I should go to PE studio tomorrow or maybe go session with Nik, Diana and some of the other OSchoolers..... or maybe the MAD bboys. But before I go practise tomorrow, I should take care of my-

Studies
Despite the tiredness, I managed to finish editing the GPP. I should start editing the Written Report tomorrow morning before going to dance. Since this is a long weekend, I should also seriously start revising for Promos. Besides, I've finished most of the tutorials already (yes, I have finished Alkanes tutorial). I should start on Monopolistic Competition tutorial tomorrow too. Oh yeah, I should be getting my warning letter from MOE soon.

Miscellaneous
I know this blogskin is not the nicest blog skin, and some ppl don't like it. I will find a good blogskin and hopefully get someone to edit it for me (I'm seriously a dumbass when it comes to HTML).

Class outing to Sentosa is on Monday. I'm kinda looking forward to it.

It's getting late, and this post is getting very long. Shall stop here for now.

Till then -- See ya!