Friday, August 22, 2008

Pencils

A Farewell
I guess alot have happened within the past few days, but before I get to that, I want to dedicate this post to Mr., or rather, Dr. Tan, my Chemistry teacher who is leaving for Paris next week.

Today was his last day in school before leaving. Our class took a picture with him a few days ago and we printed a copy of the photo and pasted it on a card, then we took turns to write messages on the card (much like we did for Miss Ong). We gave him the card during one of the breaks, if I'm not wrong.

Anyway, due to the retarded NE trip to RSAF next Thursday. Like WTH? I'm a foreigner! "unforeseen circumstances", our CT session today was replaced by a make-up Chem Lecture. Since only Athenians need to go for the dumb and useless propaganda trip needed to attend the make-up lecture, Mr Tan took the opportunity after the lecture to hand out gifts to his 3 classes.

His gift was actually a card with a paper pasted on one side and a pencil pasted on the other. On the paper was a story. The story of a pencil. Well, the gift sounds simple and cheap doesn't it? If you think so, I think you should try doing it for 3X26=78 ppl. First, copy and paste the story on the document, then print 78 copies and cut out. Next, paste them on the 78 cards, which must be equally cut.................

Anyway, here's the story that he printed:

"Story of the Pencil"
A boy was watching is grandmother write a letter. At one point, he asked: 'Are you writing a story about what we've done? Is it a story about me?'

His grandmother stopped writing her letter and said to her grandson:'I am writing about you, actually, but more important than the words is the pencil I'm using. I hope you will be like this pencil when you grow up.'

Intrigued, the boy looked at the pencil. It didn't seem very special.

'but it's just like any other pencil i've ever seen!
''that depends on how you look at things. it has five qualities which, if you manage to hang on to them, will make you a person who is always at peace with the world.

'first quality: you are capable of great things, but you must never forget that there is a hand guiding your steps. We call that hand God, and He always guide us according to his will.

''second quality: now and then, I have to stop writing and use a sharpener. That makes the pencil suffer a little, but afterwards, he's much sharper. So you, too, must learn to bear certain pains and sorrows, because they will make you a better person.

'third quality: the pencil always allows us to use an eraser to rub out any mistakes. This means that correcting something we did is not necessarily a bad thing; it helps to keep us on the road to justice.

'fourth quality: what really matters in a pencil is not its wooden exterior, but the graphite inside. so always pay attention to what is happening inside you.

'finally, the pencil's fifth quality: it always leaves a mark. In just the same way, you should know that everything you do in life will leave a mark, so try to be conscious of that and in your every day action.'

It was a simple gift, really. But I appreciate the effort he put in. You see, that's his strong point. He always put into effort in the things he do. He painstakingly took the liberty to explain his points over and over again to make sure everyone understands (which sometimes cause for some very, very slow tutorials); he sets up remedial session for students who didn't do well and made special revision notes for them; and he sets up make-up lessons/tutorials to finish up on the discussions. Sometimes, I think he's a little too serious in his work and that's why he's single. But it's not a bad thing, I guess.

That story was a nice little story. But being a free-thinker, I disagree with the first point (no offence to ppl with religion). The hand that guides you is not God, but they are your parents, friends, and teachers. Well, because they are the ones that are really important in your life. I always believed in that, and I will still continue to believe in it.

It seems that good teachers always don't stay long enough. Miss Ong, our ex-GP teacher, left us and is now replaced by UK Shyam. (No, I shan't talk about the disastrously boring event that is Mr.Chiong). Now, our Chem teacher is leaving us.

And I want to wish Mr Tan good luck in his work in Paris! Like Yu Wei said, hope you can find your soul mate in the city of love. We look forward to see you again next year, when you've done your work. Till then, take care.

Happenings
First up, OSchool Recital Audition results. Diana's friend, Joey, kindly helped us to check the results on Wednesday. Diana, Freddie, Joey, Nik and Ie-Ching all got in, so kudos to them for getting in! However, Diana said Joey didn't see my name on the list so maybe she just missed out. Well, frankly speaking, my hopes just went down when I heard that. Though there's the possibility Joey missed out my name (because she don't know me personally), but most likely I think I didn't make it in the end. Again. Sometimes I wonder whether it's because I can't dance well or something. And thanks to my friends who tried to console me, really. You guys made a difference.

The only thing that made my day on Wednesday is that I got into Street Jazz sabbatical! Yay, I got into what I wanted! I feel sorry for the ppl who didn't get their top choices because I had the same experience last term. But anyway, the only reason I didn't banged my head into the wall is because of Street Jazz. At least I'm dancing for sabbats.

Oh ya, and I was quite pleased with my results lately. I got back my Chem and Math test. I got 22/31, which means an A! Yay! First Math test in JC which I got an A! As for Chem, I only got a mere B, when I expected an A. I made alot of careless mistakes, but I'm not complaining since there are ppl who did quite badly for the Chem test. I bet my parents is smiling after reading that I didn't die for my tests. See, told you I can handle dance and studies. Anyway, I must chiong hard for Econs test on next Monday!

Tomorrow's Saturday so you know what that means. It means dance, dance, dance! Daniel has returned and class will be as usual. And I can check out the results for myself. I don't think I will be very sad even if I didn't get in, since I can focus more on Promos, but I really really want to get in though.

It's time for dinner so I guess I'll end here. Phew, it's been a long post. Shall do Alkenes tutorial and go dance after that. Till then -- may you be a pencil.