For a long time since Block tests, I was actually feeling very happy throughout a whole day. Seriously. Today is definitely one of the more memorable days. Before I get to the events of the day, I just want to say -
I got to know Wei Jie through Diana and Nik at OSchool. And Wei Jie is a fellow OSchooler. We helped him celebrated his birthday today. I find it very coincidental that his birthday falls on the same day as my brother's, Jeremy's, birthday. This is my fifth year skipping his birthday celebration because I'm in Singapore. And he turns 15 today. My parents will usually bring me or my brother out for a birthday dinner at the venue of our choice during that person's birthday, but my brother chose to forgo his celebration so that he can celebrate his birthday together with mine during the holidays. I seriously find it quite surprising and, I hate to admit it, touching at the same time.
The Open Class
Without further ado, let's move on to the events of the day. I woke up at eleven plus and bathe before making my way to OSchool for Daniel's Hip Hop Open Class. Even though I left the boarding school earlier than usual, still I was late for ten minutes.
When I went in, Daniel was teaching us some floorwork. The floorwork is not that difficult -- if you don't have an injury around your kneecap, that is. My kneecap was injured during the class outing @ Sentosa, so I find it bloody difficult and painful to do the floorwork. But I bit my lips and continued on with the choreo.
I've got to say today's choreo was damn fresh la. I have never seen hip-hop floorwork till today. (Yes, Bboy is part of Hip Hop, but that don't really count). Though it was quite painful, I just shut up and continue to do the floorworks. Oh ya, there were also "body-rolling", or more famously known as "The Boogaloo" style/technique in popping. Thank god I learned chest roll from Hui hua before. Wait, scrap that, I don't have a religion.
Had lots of fun during the open class. Note to the ppl who went for Open Class: the song Daniel used was "Small Weapon" by Lupie. After that, me, Nik, Diana and Wei Jie went to -
Wei Jie's Birthday @ Just Acia
Since Hip Hop 3 course starts around 5pm, that means we have 3 hours to spare. We went to meet up with their (as in Diana, Nik and Weijie's) classmates at Just Acia to celebrate Wei Jie's birthday. To be honest, I did thought of my brother during the celebration. Anyway, got to know more of their friends/classmates during the lunch.
Just Acia is quite cheap I must say, because they have free flow of drinks and ice-cream if you buy their set meals, which is more often that not, cheap. I would recommend it to anyone who just want to find a place to sit, eat and kill time with friends/family.
Around 4pm, we made our way back to OSchool for --
Hip Hop 3
Okay, Hip Hop 1 and 2 course was seriously moving at a snail's pace. I remember that Daniel could only teach like1 or 2 8-beats each week so that the slower ppl can catch up. At times, I felt a bit shortchanged. I also remembered considering whether to take Hip Hop 3 course or not, since I thought it was going to be damn boring again. Turns out I WAS WRONG. I take back my words.
When we reached OSchool, we sat outside the white studio and watch the 4pm Hip Hop 3 course. And the choreo was freaking dope this time round. Everytime they redo their choreo, I would be excited and say "Oh my god, that's freaking dope!". And I was excited because I knew that was what Daniel is going to teach us.
The choreo was made up of a few 8-beats, with alot of different styles that was matched perfectly together.
Lyrical. Check.
Tutting. Check.
Old-School Hip Hop. Check.
The first 2 8-beats was so "lyrical" style (even though, ironically, we weren't doing it to lyrics. Imagine "accents" and body waves), and I liked it. The next 8-beat was tutting, which I liked too. And then normal Hip Hop, which was pretty fine. So that means the choreo was totally what I would liked, so I really enjoyed myself. I am really grateful that I learnt tutting before from Ben's Popping Open Class.
Today was one of those days that I didn't screw up and blank out during both Open Class and Course. I feel damn happy to be able to catch up with both choreos finely. Hopefully it'll continue on to be like this. Oh yeah, and the song for our course was the same song that was used for Open Class. Yes, "Little Weapon" by Lupie, again. But the Open Class choreo used the chorus while the Hip Hop 3 course used the opening. When you put both of them together, you get a half done choreo. =)
Suntec Dance and Dinner@Subway
Afterthat, we (as in Ie-Ching, Diana, Brian, Hui Xian, Nik and me) chiong-ed to Suntec City to watch the Suntec Dance competition. The groups competing were freaking dope la. I wonder whether I can reach their standards someday. Temasek Poly Dance Ensemble competed, and also Nanyang Poly's Foreign Bodies also competed. There's even this group which have primary school kids in it. But that group was quite zai, IMO.
After the competition, we went for dinner at Subway. I realized that our current favourite hang out spot is Subway. But I'm not complaining because Subway is healthier than fast food restaurants. We ate and talked about some stuff close to heart, like boy/girlfriends, "flings", family, friends and other stuff. Let me tell you, times like these are those that justify why I go to OSchool. Let's say if I got in MAD at the start of the year, I wouldn't have gone to OSchool and be exposed to various dance genres, and also make more friends outside school. But then again, i'm not saying that being in MAD is a bad thing, don't get me wrong.
"Friends are important" is what Ie-Ching said. True, but family is equally important too. But my experience at OSchool became more more fulfilling because I got to know good dancemates in OSchool. Actually, I find it funny that my dancemates are much more open to each other even though we meet each other like once each week. If only some of my schoolmates are that open.
Oh yeah, yes, I am very frank in my blog posts. Hui Xian and Nik said I am very frank and blatant in my posts. I guess so, but I think it's the whole point of having a blog - to post your true thoughts and feelings. Anyway, I am quite surprised to find out that some ppl read my blog because they want to read my rantings. Haha.
After dinner, we parted ways and return to our respective schedules. But we know that we'll enjoy each other's company again next week.
"I Love Saturdays"
With dance and birthdays, how could I not be happy today? Even when I checked the recital results and found out I didn't get selected, I didn't even feel sad. There's no question that Saturday is the best day of the week for me. I haven't felt so fully relaxed and happy for a long time. And that's why I love Saturdays.
"Rest is but for a further journey" is what Tse Young told me. Well, yeah. 5 more weeks to Promos. And Econs lecture test on Monday. Oh, and Math test (again) on Wednesday. I'm sure the stress will build up again soon. But after today, I am more determined and energised to face the long road ahead. I think I need to bulk up more on my studies.
Wow. This is a freaking long post. If you've read till here, I salute you, because you really are my avid reader, and I thank you. I shall stop here or now. Till then -- remember to enjoy your Saturdays, for determination to thread a longer road ahead.