Wednesday, July 23, 2008

At-Risk Youths

As expected, today proved to be a very tiring day. Luckily I ponned school yesterday, if not I dunno how I would have lasted the day.

Classes ended at 1.30p.m today. After 3 days of not practicing dance (which also happened last week. History has its way of repeating itself, doesn't it?), I happily headed to the PE studio...... to find a bunch of ppl from (I think) Health and Fitness Club which is a total joke hogging the PE studio. Ironically, the ppl there were not doing anything healthy or fit, they were mugging and playing PSP instead. I found myself going to the area outside LT5 (the highest floor) to practise dance.

Around 4, I proceed to canteen to find Glenn, Wilson, and Terrance eating. It's been a long time since I last talked to them. Then I met up with Valerie and JunKang Brendan, and made our way to Ang Mo Kio. We reached AMK Hub and met William, then making our way to the street soccer court where we were supposed to meet the "at-risk youths". We were finding our way to the street soccer court when William suggested we walk diagonally so that we can cover more ground, but that plan was abandoned when we reached a railing and a steep slope going downhill.

We found the street soccer court and met Kris and the youths that she was working with. They were all either Malays or Indian, and they were mostly teenagers. So these were the kids termed "at-risk youths". When we got there, we totally got a culture shock. We arrived there expecting them to be silent while we are being chatty. In an ironic twist of fate, we were the ones being quiet while they are being friendly and accomodating.

After the soccer session, we had dinner with the youths and the other social workers. In an attempt to woo them, we bought them a big plate of rojak which they proceeded to gobble down within a flash of a moment.

After dinner, we made way to the tuition centre to give tuition. But the group we met at the tuition were mostly pimary school kids, which are totally irrelevant to our PW. We expected to find teenagers at the tuition, so that we can get them to participate in our mini-trial, but apparently that plan got derailed. Sigh. Though the tuition is now meaningless, we have promised the organization that we will continue this for 6 months. Our only hope now is to get the soccer youths to participate in our mini-trial, which might or might not work out.

After the tuition, we all went back home. I am feeling damn tired now. I really cannot imagine doing this for the coming 6 months. Basically our Wednesdays are gone. Forever. I didn't even have time to do any work. PW is getting harder and time-consuming.

It's eleven plus. I think I shall go rest now. Nitez