Thursday, July 24, 2008

Dance: My Origin and Future

Today is definitely one of the more fruitful days for me. Last night, my PW seemed like it was in a mess. My group knew all along we had the right ingredients to create that "bang!", but we didn't know how to go about doing it. Luckily we told Mr Shyam about our situation and he made it become much more clearer. Now my PW is back on track again. =)

Not only my PW was fruitful, my dancing too. I went to the PE studio to practise for like 2 and a half hours; something I didn't have the luxury of doing for a period of time. The Taiwan Immer Programme ppl were kind enough to let me blast my music and use the studio while they were practising their own Indian dances (yes, I know what you are thinking. Indian dance for TIP. Heh).

While practising today, I can sense the improvement in myself. Like how I hold my chair- freeze (it's a b-boy move for those not well-versed in dance) longer than the last time; or how my salsa (another b-boy move, not the real salsa dance) improved;or how I can balance better while doing footwork. Basically, like alot of things in life, it takes awhile before you can finally see the improvement. I feel so happy that I have improved since my last proper session in the PE studio, which was last Thursday. I have been learning b-boying for around 2 months (ever since Change concert), and all the things are finally starting to piece together today, while I was practising.

Dancing is not a de-stressing method. It's not an interest interest or a hobby either. It's much more than that. It's my life and passion. Yes, I know some of the ppl out there are sick and tired of hearing me talking about dance, but how can I not, when dancing is on my mind 80% of the time when I am not studying? I bet many dancers experience the same thing too. They will be thinking of that nice move, or they will fantasize about doing power moves, or perhaps thinking about their next dance session/class. Some, like me, are probably thinking about forming a dance crew. It's inevitable.

My mum (yes, that same one who always typed long messages on my tagboard. The same one who didn't know that you can leave a comment by clicking the comment button below this post) was also a dancer when during her schooling times. I probably got all my musical talents from her, since my dad cannot sing the Alphabet Song without going off-tune. The bottom line is -- dancing is in my blood.

Even my younger brother who is less musically talented than me has picked up a form of dancing called "shuffling", which is immensely popular in Malaysia but is thrown out of existence in Singapore. For those who doesn't know, shuffling is basically like gliding just that it's kind of retarded and meaningless. I tried persuading him to go into hip-hop or bboying, which he say he will consider. All the best to him then.

While he is busy persuing his own dance style, I decided to dabble in Hip-hop and B-boy. Popping and locking will be up next. I really love OSchool, which in turn makes me love Saturdays too. The instructors there are pretty good and the ppl there are friendly too. Not to mention, the dance standard there is better. I can't wait to go for OSchool Recital at the end of year (yes, I've said it many times. Bear with me). After that, me and my OSchool peeps will team up and form our own dance crew. Can't wait for that!

Anyway, I feel happy now because tomorrow is half day! Yay! Meaning my lessons end much much earlier than usual (which is 4pm on Fridays). Saturday is coming too! Woo hoo!

So what's this post about? It's about the passion of a dancer. It's my family's history of dancing. It's my future of dancing. But above all, it's about me, dance, and our intimate relationship together.