Friday, July 4, 2008

Inspired

I watched Inspire'08 last night. Actually, I think the concert was rather okay but there are like way too many technical errors. In the end, the performers suffer because of the technical incompetence. There's this band called "Stella Story" and there guys in there are like damn cool. The 3 guitarists are freaking cool with thier hairstyles and everything, and the singer is also not bad. But most of the time, we cannot hear what the singer is singing because the instruments were too loud.

But I think the Funk Faction Crew (FFC) have the coolest performance today la. As Pao Pao puts in his blog, their popping are of okay standard and it is poosible to reach that level through proper training, but I think that they are damn synchronized in their performance and that's what makes it the best. The three performers can bboy, pop, and lock but they didn't show much of locking, which is quite sad cause I think locking is damn cool also.

Anyway, the reason I watched Inspire'08 is because I wanted to support Tse Young and the other bboys. I must commend them on their choreography because I think it was quite good, given that they only used 8 days to get the performance done. And this is their debut, their first performance as MAD J1 Bboys only. And I am quite proud to see some of them doing great in their dancing. Unfortunately, I think they lacked synchronization. Even Karlton admitted this. If they worked on their synchronization, the performance would be flawless. I guess they need to work on that for Tapestry.

Some ppl think synchronization is not that important, and it's not easy. Well, I think that argument is partly correct, partly bullshit. True, synchronization is not easy, but its probably the other most improtant thing in a performance, other than choreography. I would rather have an easy move and everyone can do it nicely than have a hard move and everyone missing a beat or two. It's just wack if everyone is doing it incorrectly.

Anyway, jus came back from Oschool and dinner. Had dinner with Shino. We had a interesting discussion of forming our own dance crew within our hip hop class. Probably with the other teenagers. Actually, I started the topic by bringing up the fact that someone is my school is forming a crew and he asked me to join him. Then I asked Shino whether she wants to join, since we need a good popper anyway. And she brought up the idea that we can form a crew within our own class too, an idea that I already had since Hip Hop I. Shino, I'm all for it!

I think that the crew would be genereally a Hip Hop crew, but I want the crew to have ppl from different dance genres, like bboy, street jazz, locking, popping, hip hop and etc. Then we can learn from each other and progress as a dynamic group that's good in most dance genres. Then we can go for competitions and such. Now that would be cool.

I am quite inspired by Kaba Modern. After looking at their videos on Youtube, I am quite interested to choreo a group dance item. That started me choreo to the song "Apologize". I can just imagine a crew with 10 ppl or so hanging out and learning from each other. But the challenge now is too get good ppl into the crew, and this will take time. Only time will tell our success.

A crew. My own crew. Inspired by Kaba Modern. Let's see how it goes.