Friday, July 11, 2008

Blind

Phew! This school week is finally over. Finally have time to rest proper. It's been a crazy week man, with ILP, Chem Clock and EOM. Thank god there's it's been raining in the morning for the apst few days. If not, I dunno how many demerit points I would have gained from coming late. Went to PE studio just now. Yay! Tomorrow there's lesson at OSchool! Whoo!

It seems to me that these few weeks have been rather hectic, and it's just getting more and more hectic each week. Every week, there'll be some things to complete by the end of the week, and I would feel so stressed by the things undone. Then the weekends come and I feel relaxed again. Then the cycle repeats itself, with more things to do each week. More tutorials, more tests, more projects.

And it doesn't help that the teachers keep telling us that we have x week left to Promos (where x is the freaking number of weeks left to Promos), like we can't count for ourselves or somthing. HEEELLLLOOO, GET OFF MY BACK! I know there's only 10 fucking weeks to Promos, but that doesn't mean we must do revision ALL the time. What am I? A PRC? I have a life, you know. Oops, sorry for insulting you guys, PRCs. (Pls sense my sarcasm, I can't tone down my English further)

Anyway, I think today's GP lesson is rather thought-provoking. Mr Shyam showed us the movie "Dead Man Walking". IMO, it's a darn good show. The movie deals with issues such as life sentences, death sentence, and also forgiveness. I like how the director pieced the movie in a way that makes us question our moral gray areas. Before the criminal, Matthew Poncelet, is about to receive his lethal injection, he told the victim's parents this:

"I think killing is a wrong thing, no matter who does it. Me, other people, our government. It's not right. I just hope that my death can bring you some relief in your heart."

It's true. If someone killed another person, does that mean we can kill the murderer? That would make us murderers too. So the government is like a manslaughter house, and we should all go kill the goevernment officers too eh? And in the end, the victim's parents still have hatred and anger in them. In the last scene, the conversation goes like this:

Nun: "Let us help each other find forgiveness and relief"
Victim's parent: "No, I can't do that. I still have hatred for him."

The punishment of death sentence didn't even bring relief for the victim's parents. In fact, it only brought misery to the criminal's family members. If the death sentence does not change anything, then what's the point in that? It only brought more sadness and misery.

"An eye for an eye makes the world goes blind"-Gandhi

How true, Gandhi, how true..... The justice system stems from the notion of vengeance. We want to punish criminals by doing the same thing to them, and that's the law. It's ironic how justice, a noble and morally high system, actually takes it roots from vengeance, a selfish and rage-filled emotion. Like Mr Shyam said -- isn't there something intrisically wrong with that? I think we have no fucking right to take away other people's life. Fancy calling yourself living in a civillized society.

So tell me -- What's wrong with this world?