Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Sabbatical

Today was sabbaticals and I was doing rock climbing! We went to this Toa Payoh SAFRA place to have our outdoor rock climbing. When I went up the bus that was chartered to the venue this morning, Anthony and Chia Ern are definitely not the ppl I expect to see at the back seats. I didn't know they chose rock climbing too! My classmate Si Jie was also there along with Chia Wu (my long time video sabbat buddy) and another (horny) guy named Gu Chao.

The bus was supposed to leave at 7.15am but it left school half an hour later. I seriously wonder why the hell I woke up so early for. I should have taken my breakfast since it's going to leave half an hour later anyway.

When we reached the SAFRA place, we were given basic rock climbing and belaying instructions. We were also supposed to put on the harness, which, well, as Gu Chao puts it, emphasizes our manhood. Haha. I can see from everyone's expression that we were all thinking of one thing -- how sick the harness made us look. I guess I can't help it, since I got a big 'dragon'. Haha.

Anyway, we took turns going up the walls and I can tell you that even the easiest wall is difficult to climb. It's much harder than the OBS standard and also not many rocks to cling onto. The instructors -- Mr. Amir and Ms. Effa -- gave us a demo on how to get to the top and we were all damn impressed. While they went up, they can swing around and climb in unthinkable positions. Me and Anthony joked that maybe we should ask the instructors to go to the top and start doing airchairs or airflares. They are that good.

The challenging walls made me feel disappointed that I didn't manage to reach the top. After a few hours, my hands and fingers were shivering that I don't really have much strength to continue climbing. Now my muscles are aching from all the rock climbing. I must try my best again tomorrow and conquer at least one wall.

Oh ya, and Si Jie learnt that it's good to have ppl anchoring the belayers, the hard way. Si Jie (who is only about 45-50kg) was belaying Gu Chao (who weighs close to a freaking 70kg). Then Gu Chao lost his grip and fell, and this sets in a quick chain of reaction. Gu Chao fell off the wall --> Gravity pulls Gu Chao down --> This causes Si Jie to be flung upwards --> Si Jie banged into the wall. Si Jie should have gotten a taste of the wall and mmm, it taste good right, Si Jie? Haha. This was damn funny and alot ppl was laughing.

Anyway, this sabbat is quite fun and the ppl there are friendly. Looking forward to another day!