Monday, June 30, 2008

Style And Substance

I just finished watching So You Think You Can Dance (America) that was on Channel 5. One of the contestants said something that made me start thinking deep about dancing. What he said was this -- "I don't care what do other ppl think about my dance, because it's my style. In the end, it's still dancing".

No, he wasn't referring to his Hip Hop or Modern Dance. He was referring to his style, some that belongs to him and him only. I thought he was talking about his dance genre at first, but when the realization dawned upon me, I was struck hard by what he said. This feeling stems from the fact that I have no idea what style do I have, and I suddenly feel insecure about my dancing. I have always used dance "style" and "genre" interchangeably, saying that my dance style is Hip Hop with a little break. I realize I was wrong.

"So what's my style?" That was the question I keep hearing in my head. The truth is, I don't even know myself. In my journey thru dancing, I am still considered as a newbie. Yes, some ppl commended my dancing, but I still have alot to learn from others. I just hope that I can one day finally find and understand my own style of dancing. I remember Glenn saying he took 6 months - 1 year to develop his BBoy style. I wonder how long I'll take. I want to find my own dance style that belongs to me and me only, and it will be sufficiently hard so that no one can copy my style, and that is what I want to achieve.

So it will be a combination of style and substance, because style could not, even when hell freezes over, do you any good if you have no substance.

Talking about hell, Blizzard just announced their new game -- Diablo 3! It took freaking 8 years, but I saw the trailer and gameplay videos and it looks like it's definitely worth the wait. I am also looking forward to Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep for my PSP! Woo! Tomorrow will be the sababticals, and i didn't manage to swap with my friend in the end, so I'm still going for rock climbing. I don't foresee any problems with it since I'm quite experienced in it. Hope it will be fun!

Well, so what did I learnt today? I learnt that I should learn more about dance and find my own dance style in time to come. And nobody will be able to mimic me. That's my way of a dancer.