Saturday, June 7, 2008

Reminiscence

Ever since I came back to Malaysia, it seems that everything here reminds me of my childhood one way or another. Be it late night drinks with friends or family trip to Genting, there's just a whole nostalgic feel to it. This is probably what foreigners feel when they return to thier home country after a long period of time overseas.

Yesterday, me and my family went for a day trip to Genting Highlands. We drove downtown to Puduraya and took a bus ride to Genting Skyway. Puduraya is the infamous bus terminal of KL. If a bus is headed to KL, there's a big chance that it will stop at Puduraya. And to add on to the heavy traffic in the area, Puduraya also has its fair share of criminals. Pickpockets, muggers, conmen, these are just some people who blend in with the crowd and carry out their petty crime. I feel quite insecure when I'm there, whether it's to take a bus back to Singapore or to another destination.

After an hour long bus ride, we reached the Genting Skyway. We took the cable car up to Genting. For me, the trip is quite boring at times, especially since I jus went there with the other Malaysian Scholars last year (that's a story to tell another day), but for my family, it was like a godsend. Our family haven't had a holiday in like a few years, what's with my mother's new job and my busy schedule, so this is like the few rare times that we are actually on a holiday, albeit a short one.

We went to the outdoor theme park and played the rides like we were small kids. Haha. I bet my parents haven't had that much fun in a long time. But my parents and my brother didn't play some of the more thrilling rides, such as the Corkscrew rollercoaster and the "Solero Shot". And the weather was damn weird. Suddenly it rained, then suddenly it's sunny. But I enjoyed the cold weather there since its probably the closest thing to winter in this region.

Well anyway, we had the most fun moment with the "Water Log" ride. Its the ride where 2 person will sit in a boat that's shaped like a log, and the "log" will travel a route with uphill paths and downhill splashes. Me and my younger brother, Jeremy, shared a log while my parents shared another. The funniest thing that happened was that Me and my bro was only a little wet from the splashes but my parents came out looking as though they took a bath. then we realized that its because both my parents were heavier, therefore the splash is greater. (Remember Newton's 2nd Law? The one where the long and stupid definition ends up at F=ma. That one. Poor physics ppl xD)


We played till evening then had our dinner before heading back down to Kl. When we reached home, it's about 9pm. I hit the sacks not long after since I was so exhausted. But during the event of the day, I reminisceneced about my childhood trips to Genting and also the trip with the Malaysian Scholars (Kai Liang, Tse Young, Anthony, Jin Loong, Ziang, Reuben, Yi Hang, Jia Jun) last year. Then I realized that ,once again, life is too fast.

Today, I visited my nanny's family, who stays just a few houses away. I bet many of you will be shocked to hear that I used to live with my nanny. My nanny and her husband are the ones that took good care of me when I was young, together with my parents. My nanny and her husband are the only ones I call mother and father other than my parents. They are like a sencond family to me when I was young.But my nanny's husband, Ronnie, passed away just before I was scheduled to go to Singapore and study.

When I visited my nanny, I couldn't help remembering the childhood memories that I had with them. I swear that I will blog about these memories someday because I think they are worth remembering for a long time to come.

I also learned from my nanny that the cat that I reared with her passed away a few months ago because it got hit by a motorcycle. It happened when my nanny was away.When my nanny came back one day, she found the cat, named Darky, lying in front of her house, with its tail still wagging. But when she went closer, she saw the pool of blood Darky was in and realized the cat was still alive. But Darky just took a last glance at her and then closed its eyes and drift away, into nothingness. It broke my heart when I heard that the cat I took care of for about 10 years passed away in such a cruel manner. True, it will die of old age anyway, but at least that's a better way to die than getting banged by a motorcycle. I remember the times I used to play with Darky and I miss them. I just feel a sense of regret of not getting to play with it one last time before it died.

Phew. What a long post. It seems that I spent most of the past 2 days reminiscening about parts and bits of my past. I never want to forget them again.