Sunday, June 29, 2008

To Bboy Or Not to Bboy

Today has just been another fun-filled day for me. As I posted just now, I went for my weekly hip hop lesson at OSchool, and I went to watch 'Wanted' afterthat.

The dance choreo is getting harder and faster. I was lagging at some of the new dance steps. I like the side step body wave thing though. Since there was no KO Night tonight, OSchool was kept open longer than usual. I stayed behind after class to practise the dance choreo with my dance classmates - Bryan, Freddie (lol, his name was actually my old nickname. Just a random fact. Heh. xD), Hui Xian, E-Ching, Diana and Nik - and I gotta say we were quite synchronized man. It was damn nice when we were practising and nobody screwed up. And actually, we are the youngest ppl there (us being 16 - 18), and (allow me a moment of ego ---) I think we are the better ones in our class! Haha. Seriously. It would be cool if we all can get into OSchool Recital at EOY. What would be even cooler if we formed a dance crew, haha. That would be quite cool, and I always wanted to have a dance crew that I am part of.

We practised like half an hour after class end before I chiong off to meet the other Maaysian Scholars at Orchad. I was late for the movie though coz I was too indulged when I was at OSchool. 'Wanted' was freaking cool! I must applaud the movie for its special effects and storyline. It's like 'Jumper', with the special effects and all, just that 'Wanted' was tons better. Then we walked around Orchad and had dinner. There were about 10 of us there, and it's been a very long time since the Malaysian Scholars went out together to have some fun and bonding time. We were all too busy with our JC life that we simply don't have much time to hang out with each other as compared to last time. This is just another reminder that JC life can get hectic and busy.

Late last night, I was chatting with Glenn and he told me to stick to one genre, meaning I shouldn't do Hip Hop and Bboy at the same time, since if do that, I would be a jack of all trades, but master of none. And the argument was that if there was two person who dance hip hop, one danced pure hip hop nicely, and the other is equally good, but he adds bboy moves in it, ppl will respect the first one more because the second just seem like a 'rojak' or jack of all trades.

I was thinking hard after the chat with Glenn. Hip hop is a dance with a very wide scope and it got its moves from other dancing genres (like popping, locking, conemporary, jazz, krumping etc.). So I actually don't really see why the second person (in the analogy above) shouldn't be respected as equally as the first one, or even more, since he knows how to bboy too. In fact, some moves from Hip Hop are directly imported from bboy (shimmy, anyone?) and vice versa (uprocks). I was also rethinking my decision to learn bboy after that.

At long last, I came to a conclusion. Hip Hop will still be my main dance genre. Everything else I learn (like locking, popping, waving) I will try to incorporate to my Hip Hop, and this includes bboying too. Anyway, many dance genres are part of Hip Hop anyway. I want to combine all these and come up with my own dance style, something that's me and no one else. A unique style, that's what I'm aiming for. But thanks to Glenn for that enlightening discussion anyway.

Well, its damn late now. Yawn. Time to sleep.